My Blog List

Monday, April 9, 2012

My favorite article was the one by Gay Su Pinnell:  "Every Child is a Reader: What One Teacher can Do."  There are so many things that resonated with me in this article, and I honestly want to strive to become a teacher like Carol.
I love that she focuses her efforts on learning from the children and using their cues to differentiate her instruction to meet the needs of the class.  Additionally, Carol believes that comprehension involves all operations of the brain, and that reading is both a cognitive and emotional experience.  This concept seems so obvious, but I think so many educators forget the emotional aspects to reading and comprehension.  Students' interest in what they're reading plays a major role in their interest and comprehension.  Carol  understands and advocates these concepts, and realizes that results will be different for every student.
Carol's thoughts on diversified learning are closely aligned with my views on the same topic.  I absolutely love the fact that she offers all of her students multiple means of information delivery and assessment.  A couple sentences I thought were particularly important are as follows: She makes texts available in audio recordings so that students can think, talk, and write about them. She finds extra time to read aloud to students, helps them discuss texts, and provides brief minilessons for the whole class and small groups."
I strongly believe that many accommodations made available to students with special needs would be tremendously beneficial to general education students as well.  Students all have unique learning needs, regardless of intelligence level and many times, and many different forms of instruction and assessment should be made available to students, as to fit their learning needs.  Some of these modes of instruction are not viewed as traditional, but in my opinion, Carol's methods of teaching should be incorporated as standard within the educational community.  I definitely aspire to teach like Carol, especially because I am  in the field of Special Education.
One random quote from the article I wanted to include: “High-stakes testing can push teachers to deliver improved results, but it does not necessarily cause them to produce better learning.”  For some reason, I just really like it.
Any other thoughts on Carol's way of teaching?  Does anyone see any disadvantages to her methods?

No comments:

Post a Comment