My Blog List

Monday, March 12, 2012

Vocabulary

When I think of vocabulary, I automatically remember having to write out definitions to the vocabulary words within a textbook chapter in middle school.  I would literally spend a couple hours a week copying sentences from a textbook to a piece of notebook paper, and the only thing I cared about was that everything looked neat and tidy.  I now realize that our teachers thought that copying definitions would help build our vocabularies, but that activity probably didn't help us much at all.  From reading Blachowicz and Fisher's article "Vocabulary Lessons," I learned that there are many useful, yet entertaining, ways to help children build their vocabularies.  There are two key words that stick out to me when discussing vocabulary, and they are "fun" and "repetition."  One common theme in many areas of learning is that children learn better when the subject matter seems interesting and they are having fun, so it seems that playing games associated with building vocabulary is the perfect way to help children become interested in new words.  When I think back to middle school and how boring and monotonous vocabulary definitions were, I can't help but to think how my vocabulary knowledge might be different if we had actually enjoyed learning those new words.  The other word that comes to mind about vocabulary is "repetition," and this is based on information from the article, as well as personal experience.  When a child is exposed to something repeatedly, they are more likely to remember the information.  By reading to children and playing word games with them, they will be exposed to many more words and start to remember the definitions by simply coming into contact with the words.

1 comment:

  1. i think it is so important to make vocabulary a fun thing for students. Relating vocabulary to real life is a great way for children to retain the definitions. Word walls are a great tool to help make vocabulary repetitive.

    ReplyDelete